ELWA (Eternal Love Winning Africa) is an interdenominational Christian organization that comprises of ELWA Radio, ELWA Hospital, ELWA Services, and ELWA Academy.
ELWA's mission in partnership with churches is that everyone impacted by its outreach will hear the gospel, become disciples of Christ and have their human needs met. The objectives of the EMA are fivefold:
1) demonstrate the love of God by providing “quality and affordable” education, health care and community services to our target communities;
2) minister the Word of God to the reached and unreached;
3) disciple believers towards Christian maturity in collaboration with “sound Bible-believing churches” for effective ministry;
4) train staff members in technical excellence, Christian maturity and effective ministry in fulfillment of the mandate to reach our target communities with the Gospel Message of Christ; and
5) to promote Biblical prayer.
ELWA traces its roots back to 1952 when SIM (then known as the Sudan Interior Mission) joined with the West Africa Broadcasting Association that was attempting to start the first Christian radio station in Africa. Radio ELWA (Eternal Love Winning Africa), located in the Paynesville area east of central Monrovia, started to broadcast on January 18 1954. SIM expanded its ministry in Liberia when it opened ELWA Hospital in 1965. The department that built and maintained the institutions and residences of the missionaries and some of the staff is now called ELWA Technical Services. Also formed during this formative period was the ELWA Academy in 1957, which was responsible for educating the children of the missionaries and a few of the Liberian staff. In the 1970s, SIM started to plant churches in some of the areas where Radio ELWA was broadcasting. These churches are now grouped together in an association that is called the Evangelical Church of Liberia (ECOL).
SIM’s activities in Liberia formally closed in July 1990 when the last of its missionaries were forced to flee from ELWA campus after the National Patriotic Front of Liberia (NPFL) clashed with government troops on the ELWA campus. The Liberians and missionaries returned in 1991 and started to reopen these ministries. All of the missionaries fled again when fighting broke out in Monrovia during the “April 6” crisis of 1996. When missionaries started to return in 1997, they joined forces with the able Liberian staff that had remained behind to resume the above mentioned institutions. SIM-Liberia continues to be active in Liberia, working with its primary partners, ELWA and ECOL.